The Scientific Program Committee of the 78th National Scientific Congress (NSC) of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA) invites you to submit an abstract of your scientific research, for presentation at the NSC in Sydney.
Online abstract submission via the Congress website will close by Thursday, 6 June 2019.
Submit an Abstract
To submit an abstract, please click on the Abstracts Submission Portal button below.
Once an abstract is submitted, it can be viewed (read only) via the ASA NSC 2019 Abstracts Submission Portal. Amendments will need to be notified to the ASA NSC 2019 Speaker Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
Please ensure you have downloaded and read through the following documents prior to the submission of your abstract.
Download the guidelines and template provided to ensure your abstract is formatted correctly and follow the instructions carefully. The headings are an indication of the expected format. In addition to the maximum 400-word count of abstract text, ONE graph and/or ONE table of direct relevance to the results may be included. The list of authors and affiliations does not count towards the abstract word count. Any abbreviations must be spelt out on first use. The template lists the font details for the abstract.
No hardcopy, faxed or emailed submissions will be accepted
Presentation Formats and Prizes
Authors of accepted abstracts shall provide an oral presentation, along with an electronic poster.
All successful applicants will be required to design and make available an electronic poster display for the duration of the Congress. The ASA considers the physical display of an electronic poster, with the availability of the author to discuss their work, to be an important component of the Congress.
All electronic posters shall be available for viewing by delegates at the Congress on TV monitors specially set aside for poster presentations. In addition, each poster must be provided to the Congress in an electronic format (PDF) so that it can be viewed on computers, tablets and smart phones by the delegates, both during and after the Congress. These PDFs will remain available via the ASA website for a period of time after the Congress.
Please note: Submissions for a prize category is open to ASA Members and ASA Trainee Members ONLY. If the submission is to a prize category, the presenting author’s ASA membership number must be included in the submission.
In addition, the following prize categories are available for entry by ASA Members or ASA Trainee Members.
– Gilbert Troup ASA Prize – awarded for the best oral presentation of original research;
– ASA Best Poster Prize – 4 prizes for the best poster presentations, one of which is for Best Trainee Poster;
– ASA Trainee Audit/Survey Prize – awarded for the best audit/survey presentation by an ASA Trainee member;
– Please remember that submitting an abstract does NOT automatically register you as a Congress delegate. Congress registration must be done separately.
– All communications regarding your abstract submission will be sent to the email address you enter when submitting.
– We recommend that the email address belongs to the main author who will be presenting at the Congress.
– Submissions must be for original research, and not previously submitted and presented at a major Australian or international meeting as an oral and/or poster presentation, or previously published in a journal. Submissions found to have been previously presented will be deemed ineligible.
– All research on humans and animals must have prospectively approved ethics clearance. The approval date, number, clinical trials registry number (if applicable), and ethics committee details must be included in the submission. A copy of the ethics approval letter and the ethics approval number must be stated during the submission.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting an abstract for presentation, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
– You have read, agreed to and meet the eligibility criteria and presentation format requirements of the research sessions that you have applied for.
– This includes appropriate ethics approval has been granted.
– This includes that the submission is for original research, not previously published in a journal, or presented in any format at a major Australian or international meeting.
– You confirm that the submission has been approved by all authors.
– In addition, if submission is for a prize, you have also met with specific requirements for that prize session.
– The acceptance of an abstract does not imply provision of travel, accommodation or registration for the NSC, nor any other costs associated with preparation or presentation of the abstract, or any costs associated with attendance at the NSC.
– Accepted authors will pay and register for the Congress by the given deadline. Failure to register will result in the abstract being withdrawn.
– You give the ASA NSC permission to publish your abstract and/or PowerPoint presentation on the Congress or ASA website, on CD ROM, USB drive and in the Congress Handbook if it is accepted for presentation.
– You give the ASA NSC permission to film or photograph your presentation at the Congress, post it on the Congress or ASA website or distribute it to ASA delegates via USB drive, CD-ROM, hardcopy or online.
– You give the ASA permission to publish your abstract in the journal of the ASA, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care.
Deadline for submission of abstracts: Thursday,6 June 2019
Authors advised of submission result: Friday, 5 July 2019
Early Bird Registration deadline: Friday, 12 July 2019
Please contact the ASA NSC 2019 Speaker Manager via the details below.
ASA National Scientific Congress 2019 Speaker Manager
c/o International Conferences & Events (ICE) Australia Pty Ltd
T: +61 2 9368 1200